FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – 06/14/2022
Media Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
RALEIGH, N.C. – On Thursday, May 26, 2022, Shaw University concluded its third annual ‘Day of Giving’ campaign by exceeding its $500,000 goal – raising $1,066,867 – a 535% increase over last year’s total of $168,001. To support the effort, this year Shaw University invited deans, department heads and administrators to represent the University as ex officio Day of Giving Advocates. These advocates promoted awareness about the Day of Giving and the powerful effects of philanthropy on the everyday lives of Shaw students. All members of the Shaw community were encouraged to harness the collective power of the Shaw network and to support the university.
Marilyn Baldwin Richards, Vice President for Institutional Advancement, said: “We are ecstatic about this year’s annual Day of Giving, which raised more than $1 million to support student excellence and achievement. This was only our third effort, and we absolutely moved the needle. Thank you to our alumni who gave and to everyone who contributed to make this remarkable accomplishment a reality.”
Additional ‘Day of Giving’ highlights include:
- Shaw University alumna Evelyn Lane Sanders (’71) committed $500K during Day of Giving activities. This gift inspired other alumni, faculty, staff and friends to give;
- Shaw University President Dr. Paulette Dillard and Dr. Mikael Broadway, Associate Professor of Theology and Ethics, agreed to serve as Co-Captains for the 2022 Day of Giving;
- Both Co-Captains contributed $25K toward the annual Day of Giving, and those funds will receive a dollar-for-dollar match from the university;
- Establishment of the exclusive President’s Leadership Circle led by Dr. Joseph N. Bell, Chairman, Shaw University Board of Trustees;
- George York, President and CEO of York Properties Inc., signed on as Corporate Captain, leveraging his network to support Shaw University for its Day of Giving campaign.
To make the Day of Giving a success, communication was consistent throughout the campaign. The month of May included outreach to the entire University campus and beyond – urging everyone in the Shaw community to rally together and support the daylong fundraiser. Specific messaging included the “Be a Donor Like Me” digital series, personal video recordings by faculty and alumni, and the “Show Us Your Bear Pride” selfie competition. The 2022 fundraising theme was: “One Day. One Goal. One Bear Nation. #ShawUGives”
President Dillard said: “On behalf of the university, we thank all our donors, corporate sponsors, community partners, alumni, faculty and staff for lending their words of encouragement and then putting their words into action, including our Day of Giving Co-Captain Professor Mikael Broadway, our Corporate Captain, Mr. George York, and Melodie Carter, our Director of Donor Relations and Strategic Partnerships at the university. We are immensely proud of this year’s amazing accomplishments and thank everyone who played a part in making it happen.”
Shaw University, located in Raleigh, North Carolina, is the first historically Black institution of higher education founded in North Carolina and is among the oldest in the nation. The University was founded in 1865 by Henry Martin Tupper. Dr. Paulette Dillard currently serves as the University’s 18th President.
For more information, visit: www.shawu.edu.